Saturday, February 20, 2010

Presentation is Paramount

Exactly 4 days after I discovered the video of Alexander McQueen's crazy Spring-Summer 2010 fashion show he committed suicide. Fashion week in New York was upon us, and his death made everyone pay even more attention than usual to fashion. Now we can all have front row seats online at the biannual fashion shows, and I have to admit to indulging in some of them.

While I know that
Calvin Klein is a true minimalist, I love his home fashions, but I found it interesting that I just couldn't be bothered to sit through his fashion show. It was so minimalist, there was not even music to distract from the "fashion" - just the tap, tap, tapping of feet. And the clothes were so austere, they could even be updated nun's habits.

The contrast with the McQueen show cannot be overstated, the Calvin Klein show reminded me of the Audi ad at the Super Bowl - taking oneself too seriously is not good business in the current economic climate when offering luxury goods. Offering a little fantasy is not a bad thing - so sad that McQueen is no longer around to invite us into his fantasies - bizarre as they were...but we paid attention and wanted a small piece of it!

No comments: