Tuesday, March 30, 2010

What about that bottom shelf?

I was in a grocery store this week (not my preferred store) and noticed that they had relegated plain mayonnaise to the very bottom shelf. Now I assume that everyone buys this product, and from its new placement I have to assume that the various salad dressings placed directly above it are more profitable for the store. But for me it was irritating, in that I had to find someone to ask where they put the "stuff."

New Scientist in an article titled:
Mind over matter? How your body does your thinking actually has a much better explanation for my irritation. Our body movements affect how we think, and looking down has been correlated with negative emotions.

If I read this article correctly, if you are still showing product on a low shelf, you should move it up fast! Those stores that use the bottom shelves for storage and leave all consumer goods at eye level, now have proof that they have intuitively done the right thing.


Yes indeed, it seems that finding my favorite mayonnaise on the bottom shelf put me in a bad mood. I never liked that store anyway!

No comments: