Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Yves Saint Laurent R.I.P.

These quotes from Yes St. Laurent give us a small insight into why he was an important part of the fashion and cultural scene. He was always paying attention!

"I participated in the transformation of my era. I did it with clothes, which is surely less important than music, architecture, painting ... but whatever it's worth I did it."

"Like Proust, I'm fascinated most of all by my perceptions of a world in awesome transition."

"The street and me is a love story. 1971 is a great date because, finally, fashion took to the street."

"I have often said that I wish I had invented blue jeans: the most spectacular, the most practical, the most relaxed and nonchalant. They have expression, modesty, sex appeal, simplicity - all I hope for in my clothes."

"To be beautiful, all a woman needs is a black pullover and a black skirt and to be arm in arm with a man she loves."

"The most beautiful clothes that can dress a woman are the arms of the man she loves. But for those who haven't had the fortune of finding this happiness, I am there."

This reminds me to go searching for my copy of Julia Cameron's "Artist's Way" and my favorite dog-eared Vogue article "On Paying Attention" that was incorporated into the book. I haven't read it for awhile and as Woody Allen would say: "I need the eggs."

"The quality of life is in proportion, always, to the capacity for delight. The capacity for delight is the gift of paying attention." Julia Cameron

No comments: