Sunday, June 22, 2008

Classic or a Cliché

Is the red geranium a classic or a cliché? Is it an archetype for happy summer days - for summer itself?

Occasionally I will plant geraniums that coordinate better with the perennials in my garden, yet every time I do, I find myself disappointed and the next year it's back to the brilliantly red ones. Those "sophisticated" designers turn their nose up at the very idea, yet red geraniums satisfy some deep-seated yearning for me. Why is a basket or windowbox of red geraniums so much more satisfying than the other colors?


That is the very question in both design and marketing, when does the presentation of the familiar cross over to cliche? Or does it matter - is a cliche just an efficient form of communication whether in words or images?


I cast my vote for red geraniums as classics!

No comments: