Wednesday, April 14, 2010

What is Sustainable?

The site: Treehugger features the eclectic Dutch design firm droog's offering at Salone del Mobile. Their presentations have often seemed simply "odd" to me, but this I get - with the thought that "there is enough stuff in the world already" they collected left-overs and created something new with what they discovered to offer for sale at the fair. droog blogs from Milan during the fair.

I totally concur with
droog, there is enough stuff in the world. I was often asked when I left the corporate world why I didn't go into business "selling stuff." My response was always "there is enough stuff," I would rather help those already in business further develop and sell what is rather than create more stuff or yet another store front. Of course, that didn't stop others from opening more and more store fronts thinking the boom would never end - many of these spaces now empty shells.


On a related topic, Art Basel in Miami showed photography in one of these empty, dark and cavernous spaces, the show was depressing after having shown in tents with great natural lighting in previous years - but, I guess that is a form of adaptive reuse. Another show used an old factory, again with great natural clerestory
lighting - to me a much more appealing venue for art than empty mall space. Natural lighting - much better for showing product and green as well.

No comments: