Wednesday, July 30, 2008

When Design Ruled...No focus groups...No marketing teams!

The other day, I was at the post office and saw a dapper gray-haired gentlemen get into the most exquisitely restored gray Lincoln Continental from the early 40's. Personally designed by T. 'Bob' Gregorie for Edsel Ford, this elegant model is a true icon of automotive design. I am certainly not a car person, but I know an icon when I see one and this car was such a thing of beauty that I felt compelled to yell out a compliment to a complete stranger. (Find more pictures of these beauties at HubcapCafe.)

As I look around me, every other car looks the same in that generic sort of way. How did car companies get to this place? Is it possible that marketing teams and focus groups are the culprits? Catering to the lowest common denominator is BORING and sales of today's BORING cars reflect that fact.

No comments: