Monday, February 11, 2008

Atmospheric Images in NY Times Sunday Magazine

In time for the Oscars, The NY Times Magazine has an article entitled Breakthrough Performances of 2007. (The link is to the slide show with commentary.) Move over Arnold Newman, there is a new portrait photographer in town. Now that everyman can shot a "perfect picture" with a digital camera, artists are moving beyond static images. RYAN McGINLEY shot the riveting atmospheric photographs of the stars for this article. This series of images is a must-see for anyone that works with aesthetics in any format.

You may wonder why this is important. I had a history professor at UNC-G who made his world history classes read the Sunday New York Times and tested us on it on it every Monday - a life long habit was born and come rain or sleet or snow, I read the NY Times on Sunday even when on vacation. What I now have is a history that tells me that stories and images published in the Times are culture defining. Despite their strongly held political opinions, I have found their influence on cultural trends holds more sway and influence on the entire country than their editorial and op-ed pages. I have since added the Thursday Home section to my "must read" list. I still like reading print, but I go to the website for the video, slide shows and better quality images than is possible on newsprint.

If you are responsible for product photography, imagine the interesting possibilities this style offers in truly focusing on a product. Expect to see more of this style in the future.
.

No comments: