Tuesday, March 10, 2009

What do Acela and Louis Vuitton have in common?

Having spent the snowiest day in 5 years in New York traipsing around SOHO, I was happy to be on the Acela looking out from behind my long down coat. New York to Boston is such a spectacular ride along the shoreline, I always make sure to get a seat on the Long Island Sound side. On this particular day it was the graffiti that caught my eye and seeing it at the "speed of Acela" I was charmed by its appeal - it cheered up a dreary, dismal and colorless afternoon for me.

I have previously taken notice of and reported on the crossover of graffiti and tattoo art to luxury items, but never personally could see it. Today I could, or maybe it was just my memory of seeing the Stephen Sprouse revival in the Louis Vuitton window in Soho - it too was more noticeable on that snowy morning.

For an engaging riff on the artistry of handbags see
Handbags of the Apocalypse.

No comments: