Tuesday, January 9, 2007

Simplicity is not overrated

Over 50 million iPods have been sold and those who pride themselves on "being in the know" are saying that "one of the most over-speculated and questionable trends today" http://www.psfk.com/2007/01/the_simplecompl.html .

I humbly disagree and here is why:

In 1995 I led a team at a Color Marketing Group conference. We were doing design influences that day and created a poster from our session that looked much like today's iPod. Few outside our team got it, but we know the story of the iPod today - the consumer "gets" it. (That was my last Color Marketing Group conference. The speakers were the best part and I no longer need to go to hear the speakers - fabulous speakers are now available on podcasts.)

On toasters I have owned -

* One with an elevator - failed in short order.

* One spit out toast to the floor (won some design award)

BACK TO THE SIMPLEST TOASTER THAT MONEY CAN BUY - WILL THROW IT AWAY WHEN IT BURNS OUT. I WILL HAVE GOTTEN MY MONEY'S WORTH.
I had exactly the same experience with several expensive, multi-functional microwaves. I was once a glutton for punishment, but no longer - I now have a basic, simple microwave for short bucks. I could have bought a new simple one every 6 months for what I paid for the complex one given how long they lasted. What does one really need to heat up left-overs? (I even repaired the locking mechanism myself once, despite the warnings not to open the box)

And don't even get me going on the washing machine. In short - I am a boomer, there are lots of us, and we now have LOTS of experience in the marketplace. Manufacturers disregard our experiences at their own peril. (Yes, boomers are buying iPods)

Who has time for the learning curve for all that day-to-day stuff! I would rather spend the time to learn how to use my D80 well. Now that complexity gets me charged up, but not complex appliances. It is so refreshing to just push one button!

The same holds true for the finishes in a house - keep them simple and easy to maintain. No fancy maintenance instructions. Boomers have better things to do.

No comments: